Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cowboy Poetry

I had to share this incredibly beautiful poem, Ruby Mountains, by Jack Walther, a rancher from Nevada. Cowboy poetry is a relatively new discovery for me but it is the genre that contains some of my all-time favorites. This is a great example. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. The photos are all my own.

Calves at Cowhorse Ranch in Ramona, CA


Ruby Mountains by Jack Walther

I am part of this range of waving grass,
Part of the evening breeze, the gentle rains that pass.
I am the horse or range cow that moves out there so free.
Deep down within, they seem a part of me.

I am the snows on the mountain that cause the streams to flow,
Spreading out on the valley, the leaves and branches of a tree,
They are more than a thing of beauty. They are a part of me.

I am the buttercups blooming in the springtime,
The call of the blue grouse on the hill,
The peace and quiet of a summer night
When all the world is still.

I am the sparkling stars on a winter night,
Or a crisp cold morning sun.
I am the gurgling protesting stream,
Beneath the winter ice shall run.

The coyote that howls in the evening or the hoot owl in the wood,
I sense them stir within my soul. Deep down it feels so good.
With this all a part of me, I can never be alone.
I am the richest man on earth, for all this I own.

When this body that you see is stilled,
Stand not by my grave and cry.
When a part of all these things,
I will be renewed and shall never die.

But come out in the fresh spring grass,
See the songbirds up in the tree,
Just relax, spend some time.
It is there I shall forever be.



No comments:

Post a Comment