Thursday, December 30, 2010

Snowed In

I awoke this past Monday, on Long Island, to a true winter wonderland. I served myself a nice piece of the Cranberry Cake that I had made (it's not so sweet that it couldn't be eaten as a breakfast treat!) and a cup of tea. 

Cranberry Cake from the cookbook, Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams
I was scheduled to work at Harborside Vet Hospital, the veterinary clinic where I have worked since I was 16 and where I gratefully find employment when I am visiting Huntington. However, since the snow was so deep and the roads so bad (Huntington had declared a "snow emergency!"), they ended up not needing me. I was not too upset at the prospect of being able to stay inside where it was warm for a bit longer! I sat again by the back window and watched the many birds feeding and playing in the backyard. They seemed to be enjoying themselves in the snow; there was tons of activity! I think because people weren't walking around so much and going outside the birds felt safer so more of them came out.

A male cardinal sits on the feeder while a mourning dove, junco and a sparrow forage below.
A female cardinal in flight
A blue jay with full extension in flight

Blue jay on a feeder
By the afternoon the roads had been plowed and traveled upon enough (at least by my house!) that it was not too bad that you could not drive. My dad and I shoveled for a while, ate some lunch and then decided to go see The Fighter with my mom, my aunt Lisa, and my cousin Lucie.

I love Mark Wahlberg so I was expecting to like the film but I underestimated how good it would be! I didn't realize it was based on the true life story welter-weight boxer, Mickey Ward. The fact that it was based on a true story made the film all the better. And Amy Adams is so feisty, I really liked seeing her in a role other than the typical girl in a romantic comedy. I don't want to say too much more about it because I don't want to give anything away. Just go see it! :)


The real Mickey Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment