Sunday, June 1, 2014

Radish Gypsy

I LOVE this warm weather and I can't over-emphasize how appreciative I am of how few mosquitoes I have come into contact with as of yet (knock on wood!). My garden is coming along. I started out seeding a variety of crops with a dream of a garden coming to fruition. Sure enough, the seeds sprouted (after lots of TLC), and now the tiny seedlings have morphed into actual, discernible plants. I am very happy to report that my first round of radishes have been harvested. This year I planted Radish Saxa II seeds, which I bought along with all of my other seeds, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. I probably would have found that company on my own, based on my interest in heirloom seeds, but I actually first discovered it when I sat next to the mother of the owner on an airplane ride to Montana. Kismet!

Radish Saxa II
I saw a beautiful moth on the outside of my house so I took a couple photos of it so I could later identify it. Unless I am mistaken, it turns out this beautiful moth is a lady of death: an invasive Gypsy moth, the dreaded destroyer of beautiful tree foliage and enemy to hardwood tree species of the Eastern US.



When I first saw the moth I was in awe of its beauty and careful to not disturb it as I photographed it. I find it ironic that if I saw one again I would probably end up killing it to protect the trees that its offspring would destroy. It amazes me how much perception of something can be changed by what you believe about it to be true. The moth doesn't know that it is being destructive. It is simply doing what it needs to do in order to survive, as any other species in its position would do. This is a prime example of how dangerous non-native invasive species can be. It isn't the sexiest of issues but it is one that has far-reaching implications across the big picture of the web of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment