Sunday, April 29, 2012

Plant Intelligence & Neurobotany

I just read the article, "If Peas Can Talk, Should We Eat Them?" by Michael Marder and had to say a few words. Here's the link to the article so you can read it for yourself: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/if-peas-can-talk-should-we-eat-them/?hp#.

I find the research in this realm of study to be absolutely fascinating. I have read similar studies before concerning trees that communicate similar information through their root systems.

Since people obviously can't just stop eating for fear of killing something, I think what is to be gained from this new knowledge is instead a firmer respect for all living things- people, plants, and animals- and to be grateful for all that dies so that we might live. This just makes me appreciate, even more, all of the food that I eat and re-enforces my desire to not be wasteful. Additionally, I think it is interesting (and important) to view ourselves as a part of life's energy flow, instead of existing outside of it. We are not the end-point for energy; when we die our nutrients are recycled into new life, and so on and so forth. Essentially it's a way of regarding the law of the conservation of energy- energy being neither created nor destroyed but rather changing form. I think that is a beautiful thing.

I've been intrigued for some time by the ideas presented in The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird but I have yet to read the whole book. I'll add it to my ever-growing list of books to read!

If any of you have read it and have any ideas that you would like to share I'm interested to hear what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment