Friday, February 20, 2009

Performance Day

Today in my Poetry and Drama in Performance class (same one that I'm writing the Citizen Cope paper for) we performed our assigned scenes from the choreopoem "For Black Girls who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf" by Ntozake Shange.
Last week we were put in groups and assigned a certain section to act out. I was a part of the scene in which this woman talks about being a young black girl in St. Louis in 1955. It was so much fun to do and I was very pleased that the performance went well. I had to have a southern accent (which was a LOT of fun) and I memorized all my lines. I was very proud of myself since I've never performed anything like that before.
I'm starting to see a whole other side to theater and am becoming quite interested in it. It is such an amazing medium for self-expression!
It was one thing to read the choreopoem but it is something entirely different to see it acted out or to act it out yourself. Seeing it performed, after reading it, made me realize how some works are meant to be read but others are just not able to be fully understood without being physically performed. This class is probably one of my favorite classes I've taken in college.

1 comment:

  1. You definately have your hands full with such a variety of classes. Wish I had been more open to things that weren't so mainstream when I was in College. I enjoy reading, keep the posts coming.
    -Heahter

    ReplyDelete